Aside from distributing to all community pharmacies and dispensing doctor practices across the UK, HDA member wholesalers also manage and distribute to all NHS hospitals. This is an area of increased focus at the moment.
The HDA is working with the NHS and the Department of Health as part of the wider Carter initiative, which is examining how to make NHS secondary care procurement of medicines more efficient and contribute to overall NHS performance. The ongoing HDA/NHS meetings are considering opportunities/hurdles in hospital IT systems, procurement rules and e-commerce. The key driver for any changes will be an ‘NHS national service standard’ for companies wishing to supply to hospitals.
HDA members also work alongside NHS England and Public Health England, by offering their supply chain network, to enable the distribution of their targeted public health campaign materials to pharmacies and patients. We also work with the NHS and pharmacy to ensure vital vaccinations, such as flu, reach more of the ‘at risk’ groups, and are on hand to manage emergency stockpiles of essential medicines which the nation’s health might depend on. The HDA very much supports calls for delivering more vaccinations via pharmacy.
From Factory to Pharmacy
As part of our mission to build awareness, understanding and appreciation of the vital importance of the healthcare distribution sector, we developed an infographic explaining the availability of medicines. It identifies the factors that can impact drug supply, as well as the measures that HDA members undertake day in, day out to help mitigate the risks of patients not receiving their medicines.See the Infographic
Apply to become a Member
Membership of the HDA guarantees your organisation:
- Access to leading policy and industry forums of debate and discussion
- Invitations to a range of networking industry events organised through the year, including an Annual Conference and a Business Day
- Representation on HDA working parties, including the Members’ Liaison Group
- A daily Political and Media Bulletin and HDA Newsletters
- Access to HDA policy documents and all sections of the HDA website
- Branding and marketing opportunities